This isn’t really a full fledged tailgate menu item, but a simple ingredient used with other tailgate favorites. These onions go great on burgers and sandwiches, hot dogs and mexican dishes like tacos. You can make them and store in the fridge for a few weeks or months.
- 2 large red onions
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup fresh lime juice, do NOT use bottled, squeeze your own!!
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 whole jalapeno chiles, slit down the middle
- 1 tablespoon honey
Do NOT use any kind of bottled or pre-made lime juice, only use fresh squeezed lime juice that you make yourself, there will be a huge difference and it will totaly suck if you do not head this advice. You can let these marinate 12-48 hours, then drain the liquid and store the onions in the fridge for up to a month or so.
- In a nonreactive pot whisk together the juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, honey and bring to a boil for about 5 minutes until the sugar and salt is dissolved.
- Slice the onions into very thin rings, about 1/8 inch or so
- Take the liquid off of the heat and allow to slightly cool for 5 minutes, then pour onto the onions and toss the chiles in. Stir the mixture and cover and refrigerate for 12-48 hours.
- Drain off the liquid
Got any ideas for TailgateJoe? Want to be featured on the site?
We are a site dedicated to the primal nature of man, to gather around the fire, eat, laugh, and drink! If you have any ideas for posts or content for the site drop us a line! Even if the idea sucks a little bit we can usually spit shine it to some degree!
If you are a chef or in the restaurant/hospitality industry, make or market cool guy-toys, or just have something you want featured on TailgateJoe then we want to hear about it. We are always looking for cool content and TailgateJoe is a great promotional outlet for you and your product/service.
Please Share This Post:
Spread the word and help our site grow! Clicking the links below will only take a few seconds and we really appreciate all the help you can give us, especially with twitter and facebook referrals!